Monday, February 23, 2009

The Genesis of Ideas.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city, even on the dampest and mistiest of days. I fully understand why it is called The Athens of the North and fostered the Scottish Enlightenment (and a vast number of inventions which shaped our modern world). But, these days it is packed with politicians, students, financiers, and a steady stream of tourists. For those of us who are creative souls, the place comes alive in the quiet of midnight - the congestion of the day melts away into solitude and thoughts with a backdrop of historic buildings lit up for show. Those of you who know this 'nome well, know I get a little cranky without my walks. It is when I clear my head, let my subconscious work on problems, and create ideas. I tend to walk home, down the Royal Mile, with the company of a fox most evenings...

So, a few months ago when Queensland Tourism advertised what they billed as the "Best Job in the World: Island Caretaker for the Great Barrier Reef" it seemed like a great idea to apply. Only catch, unlike the traditional job applications I can complete in my sleep, this one required a 60-second video spot with a six week application window.

Daunted by the challenge at first, I thought, why not give it a go... Worst that could happen, I don't get it. And so, a personal gauntlet was thrown down. Over the course of the past 4 weeks, I have had an amazing journey of growth and creativity. I started with a simple goal, create something that is ME and was determined not to talk to the computer like the majority of the applicants I sampled.

Along the way I've learned technical skills - how to run a video camera, performed tape to digital transfers, and played with sophisticated editing software (a la iMovie '09 and Adobe Premier Pro). On the creative front, the idea has matured - first it was something like Jerry Maguire, then Forrest Gump, then old Travelocity ads and a memorable piece of music, arriving ultimately at the brand I have been developing for myself since 2006 "The Roaming 'Nome" and a little help from my friend's answers to the following question, "If you had to describe me in 10 words, what would you say?" I learned about the Great Barrier Reef, explored my vast library of photographs (both print and digital), listened to hours of random music on the Internet until I found a track I loved, and developed a renewed awe at the wacky world I choose to inhabit.

In the end, Queensland Tourism either received 22 copies of my application, or zero, depending on how the server was feeling; it was jammed from the over 34,684 entries they received. To be honest, I'm actually not that bothered if they didn't get it, or rejected it because their content monitor decided it was 61 seconds long. (Although, if they did, and I got the job, that would be fantastic and you are all invited to share the pool!) I had the most amazing experience putting the piece together that I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China.

Below find my endeavor in its entirety (the application is slightly shorter on the 'credits'). To those who provided support and inspiration over this past month, I am sincerely in your debt. To the wider world, I challenge you to put yourself out there every day - it doesn't have to be something grand and earth shattering, but it should stretch your limits and broaden your horizons.

Living the adventure, The Roaming 'Nome

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great video! I hope they at least grant you an interview!Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Very cool job! Hope that everything goes through for you! You are the person they need. It was your guidance and knowledge which made our holiday to Ireland, Scotland and London a dream. Not only for the tour guide information but the technical details behind what we see (which I love).

Anonymous said...

What a great job you did on the video. I hope that you hear something from them. The odds seem astronomical but your presentation is great so wait and see. Please keep us posted. I see you have a link to our blog on your web site.

You are doing all the right things and seem to have your priorities straight. Life is a short journey so you must get out to enjoy it.

Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Video overall looks very good, professional and flows well... Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice! Now I am just impressed. Great video. What software did you use for editing? What if you actually get that position? That would be a great dilemma to have...